How Your Grab Attention With Compelling Headlines
Banner advertising is one of the most common ways for businesses to advertise online. You will see banners all over the internet with many commercial sites selling banner space as a source of income much the same way as print publications sell advertising. So with so many banner ads, how can you make yours stand out from the crowd? Having an eye catching design is of course very important, but so is creating a compelling headline which is going to grab people’s attention and encourage them to click on the banner. Let’s take a look at why banners are important and how you can come up with attention grabbing copy!
Why Are Headlines So Important?
Compelling headlines have the power to condense a key message into a single line and engage your target audience. Headlines are how we lure potential clients to your website so that they can begin to find out more. Statistics show that as many as 80% of internet browsers never make it past the headline indicating that marketers need to try harder to capture their audience.
5 Tips For Creating Compelling Headlines For Your Banners
- Keep It Short & Sweet – Your headline should never be any longer than 15 words. It takes practice to get your point across in as few words as possible, but if you can master it then you will be well on your way to learning how to create compelling headlines. Try to strip your copy back to the bare minimum by removing unnecessary words like adjectives.
- Highlight The Benefit Of Clicking – You also want your headline to let people know that you can solve a particular problem or fulfil a need if they click on your banner. You can do this by making sure that your headlines highlight the benefits of their click. Are you offering a free download? Do you want them to register on your site? Always include something to let them know what clicking on your banner is going to do for them.
- Don’t Forget The Call to Action – Often marketers assume that people are going to know that they need to click on the banner ad, but we should never make that assumption. You will need to include a call to action either in the headline or as an accompanying ‘button’ on the banner ad. This should be stated clearly, for example ‘click here’ or ‘visit now’.
- Choose The Right Words – In order for your headline to compel people to click through, you are going to have to make sure that you choose your words carefully. The best motivators are words which trigger emotion or desire. Great choices are words like discover, secret, amazing, free or enhance which are all buzz words that will elicit an emotional response.
- Don’t Try to be Too Clever – It can be tempting to try and be witty and clever with your headlines, but while this may work in print when it comes to banner ads you will only succeed in confusing people. The last thing you want is for people to be left trying to decipher an ambiguous message. The goal is to have a short, punchy headline that grabs attention even with just a passing glance.
When it comes to banner advertising, you cannot rely on the design aspect alone. Headlines are one of the biggest elements when it comes to improving the click through rate on your banners. When you hit the right formula for your headlines you will find that more people are going to start paying attention to what you have to say.
When compelling headlines are coupled with excellent banner design you can benefit from increased traffic to your website. Why not contact us today to discuss some of the banner design packages that we can offer?